31 December 2008

my-graines

it took years before i realized that not everyone had a headache every day. suffering through one was so commonplace for me, that i assumed everyone was the same.

in fact, i cannot remember a time when i didn't suffer with a headache. it wasn't every single day, but it was easily 6 days a week. there would be months where i had a headache every day.

as a small child, they were so bad they would cause me to vomit. turns out now i was suffering from migraines (which often cause kids to vomit), but at the time it was assumed my severe allergies were causing me to swallow copious amounts of mucus, which created the vomiting. that might've had a play in it, but migraines were certainly at play as well.

i don't have headaches every day, now. thankfully. i've gotten my allergies mostly under control through a combination of immunotherapy (shots) and pharmaceuticals (Zyrtec is a godsend). this has curtailed the daily sinus headahce (or mostly). but, the migraines still persist.

it wasn't until recently, though, that i was diagnosed with migraines. i was always told my headaches were due to sinusitis, allergies, etc.
but, about a year ago i began to see these really weird flashing, colored lights in my field of vision, in only my right eye. i thought i was having a stroke. the lights grew until my nearly my entire field of vision was covered with scintillating color. like blinking rainbows. very strange.

i went to our doctor, and she told me that these are called >migraine auras (mine look almost exactly like this), they are fairly rare, and that migraines typically evolve over time which accounts for the new symptoms. she also suffers from migraines, so she has some experience.

anyway, i got them about once a week. no headaches followed (which turns out to be a real phenomenon, though rare). they have since gone away, but the headaches have returned. the typically light sensitivity, throbbing pain (like your brain playing drums with itself against the inside of your skull), etc. i get them about once a month, or so.

had a few this christmas break. not sure why.

unfortunately, the only cure is sleep.

i haven't had an aura in 6 months or so. i kinda miss them. they were pretty. a little disconcerting, but pretty.

if any of you suffer from migraines, tell me your symptoms. there are so many, and everyone's are different. auditory sensitivity? tunnel vision? field of vision disturbances?

if not, count yourselves lucky. they suck.

have a happy and safe new year's eve and day, folks!

7 comments:

christopher cunningham said...

cyn gets back pain related headaches frequently from her days as a server, and if she stands for a long time cooking or something without proper padded mats her back and neck muscles kill.

man, that sucks. sorry to hear about a lifetime of unpleasantness; I've been lucky to have had only a couple migraines in my life and they were fucking awful. so I empathize my friend.

that color shit looks/sounds like you've been dabbling in your hippie friends sack of mushrooms (heh). but what a wild phenomenon. I've never even heard of it (though cyn's dad, right before he had another heart operation, his fifth, said he saw large patches of silver color floating in and out of his vision). hope you're head is feeling good today brother...

Unknown said...

I had the first migraine of my life on 9-10-08. It was the day after my bday so I remembered. It began as a small headache at work and I thought it was because I'd been looking at the computer too much that day, but then I threw up. Once that happened it magnified by ten thousand. She's once, twice... three times a lady.

Then I started to see spots in my right eye. They looked like soft black spots about the size of a dime... they were transparent black like the very inside of a candle flame. They went wherever my vision went. I became convinced that I was having a stroke too, but thought I better just get home and go to bed, because if someone were to find me dead at least I'd be in my own bed, in my pajamas.

I got home at 3pmish, put a note for my brother on the front door that said, "I may be having a stroke, check on me when you get home to make sure I'm still alive". He woke me at 7, the migraine was still there.

Woke me at 10pm, the migraine was still there. I slept the next day through noon and when I woke up it was gone.

Dr. said to chart symptoms, see what triggered it, and that unless I started having 1/month I would not need medication. Can't imagine what did it back then....but since then I've had only 1 more, which was 12-24-08 and probaby triggered by rage.

I've found sleep to be the only cure, also. Total darkness, total quiet, a weiner dog or three, and sleep.

flahute said...

It starts off as light sensitivity and throbbing ... if I get to the point where I have auras, then I'm down for the count. My vision (generally on the right side) will disappear completely ... no more auras, just black.

Even Relpax and/or Maxalt (godsends, both!) won't save me then.

Sometimes when I feel one starting to come on, generous use of a Mygra-Stik (peppermint & lavender oil) rubbed on the temple helps ...

But if I really go down only sleep and something cold over my eyes helps.

Anonymous said...

Mine start with the visual disturbances, the auras, if you will. They move gradually from one eye across to the other. When that cycle ends, the headache begins, followed quickly by nausea. Mine last about 3 or 4 hours. I used to get one about every six months, but I seem to be outgrowing them; I haven't had one in about 3 years, though I think about them every time I have the slightest issue with my eyes, like after looking at something bright.

-- Glenn

jianali said...

I'm wondering... can you get the aura without the headaches? My boyfriend has been telling me of similar issues - small black dots.. then silver dots then moving to almost no vision in one eye. The new thing he describes is a "pineapple shape" (a yellow pinneapple ring) floating around. But he swears he doesn't get headaches. In eight years - he has only complained of 1 headache.

Anonymous said...

Jianali - he needs to have an MRI. It could be an enyuerism. He needs to get it checked out.

-- Glenn

j.b said...

wow, lots of responses.

first, jianali, yes you can have auras without headaches. it's actually called migraine aura without headache. it's rare, but i had them, too. you should tell him to see a doctor though just to be safe. stroke is also a possibility.

Glenn and Gina and Steven-
sorry to hear you all suffer from migraines as well. ack. sounds like the textbook symptoms, too. they really do suck. i'm thinking of looking into medication soon. i've had 4 the past month already.

Chris-
Cyn's headaches sound terrible. i bet it's fairly common with waitresses, or ex-waitresses. yikes. hope she can manage them. things aren't so bad when they're manageable.