03 July 2005

idea factory

people have often asked me how i come up with the ideas for my poems. there's no way i can answer this question. it's like asking Mozart where he came up with the ideas for his symphonies. who the hell knows? now, don't get me wrong. i'm not comparing myself to Mozart. i mean, he was German and i'm American. oh, and he wrote music, not poetry like i.
but, the point i'm trying to make is that i have no idea where the hell the ideas come from. if i weren't an atheist and were credulous enough to believe in any of that crap, i'd say it came from god. but, we all know that's not the case.
so, my only guess is it's a fortuitous combination of genes. in the same way Jesse Owens and Carl Lewis could run fast, Michael Jordan could play basketball, Andre Agassi tennis, and Mozart could pen melodies, i can write poetry.

but, if you were to ask me how i come up with the ideas for my poems i'd give you the same answer i give everyone else: i hear voices i'm convinced are broadcast from an alien planet, the frequency of which my brain is uniquely attuned, and these voices tell me exactly what i should write. this usually ends all further conversation. and, for that reason alone, the voices are worth any and all annoyances they might give me.

No comments: