09 November 2005

the holidays, and some poetry stuff

we'll be leaving on Tuesday the 15th to fly to Florida to visit family for two weeks for the Thanksgiving holiday. in the six years we've lived in Salt Lake (coincidentally, today is our 6 year anniversary of arriving in SLC), we've not had a holiday with family. so, this will be a nice vacation. plus, we'll get to see my sister's two young children. therefore, i'll probably not get to update this blog during those two weeks, though i will try. we'll see. my parents don't have a computer at their place, so email and such will be lagging.

today i received Issue #38 of remark. Kat did a great job with it. i thought that i would miss being the editor of remark. after i quit and handed the reins over to Kat, but not so much. it's nice to have the extra free time to myself. and with some of the shit Kat has had to deal with concerning primadonna, arrogant, ungrateful poets; i definitely don't miss dealing with that. thanks, Kat, for taking over the editorship of the magazine.

lastly, i received from christopher cunningham a signed copy of his new book, Thru the Heart of This Animal Life A Measure of Impossible Humor, published by Nerve Cowboy. i've said this before on this blog, but i'll say it again right now: christopher cunningham is the greatest living poet in America. it's a bold statement, but one i firmly believe. the dude sweats poetry.

4 comments:

Kat said...

justin,

That's great that you are going to see family for the holidays. I do miss that being so far away from my family. It's been many years since I've been "home for the holidays". Have a great time! I'll be in Disney. First time I've ever spent a holiday away from my own home. I hope it's fun!

Thank you so much for the kind words about "remark." Without sounding all hokey and corny and icky...when you handed it over to me, you gave me something that totally changed my world! And I can't say thank you enough for that. Even with prima donnas and idiots (and there have been very few of those!) it's still the best thing I've done besides have kids!

Have a great Thanksgiving! :)

j.b said...

Disney, eh? not my favorite place, but it'll be nice to get away from the house. hope you have a good time.

you're welcome. i'm glad i was able to provide you with that joy. remark. was amazing for me, too, and i understand totally. during the best part, it was something i looked forward to working on. during its worst part, i dreaded it. hopefully, it never gets that bad for you. :)

Kat said...

I'll admit that some days...I'm like...AH! Not ANOTHER poetry submission! But most times, I enjoy it through and through...the whole process...picking the poems and "designing" (Notice the quote around that word!) the covers and even writing out envelopes. (I know typing out labels would be easier but for some reason...writing them out feels better!) I won't keep saying thank you but it's really hard to explain how much I've gotten out of this! No way to really say thank you without sounding like a big dork. So...I'll shut up! :)

j.b said...

Kat,
oh i understand fully. but, getting submissions is better than none at all. when i started remark. there would be stretches of months where i got nothing, and even when i did get a submission, it was more likely to be crap than not.

i'm glad it's working out for you! :)