21 July 2005

more huked on fonnix

i received some good comments about my post on the atrocious spelling and grammar being used around the internet (forums, blogs, emails, etc.). so, here are a few more examples that i've noticed, and some more tips that might help you out if you happen to be one of the offenders.

justin.barrett's simple rules of English, part 2

affect and effect are often used incorrectly, but the difference is important. affect is a verb and means to "have an influence on," as in "the blogger's use of your when he means you're does not affect my grammar." effect is a noun and means "a cause or result brought about by change." when you affect something, you cause an effect. to makes matters even more confusing, there is a noun version of affect (which means "emotion") and a verb version of effect (which means "to create"), but both are very rare and typically used only by those who know the difference. so, when in doubt, figure out the part of speech and use affect if you mean to use it as a verb and effect if you mean to use it as a noun.

to has two homonyms. one of them is too and the other is two. most of the mistakes are between too and to, though occasionally (and oddly) two is used in place of both. first, two is a number. it stands for one plus one, or three minus one. if you mean something is "one more than one," then you need to use the word two (i.e. "i have two eyes, but only one nose."). the simple difference between the other two is that too also means "as well" or "in excess" (i.e. "i like that, too." or "you're playing it too loudly."). all other uses should use the word to.

a lot is two words. alot is NOT a word. you don't use alittle, and you don't use alot.

lite is not a word. the correct spelling is light. too, nite is not a word. the correct spelling is night. in that vein, thru is not right. use through. this phonetic use of English is annoying and, quite frankly, makes you look lazy and moronic.

of coarse is not the correct spelling. the phrase uses course, not coarse. coarse means "rough or crude." do yourself a favor and use of course. of course, you can ignore me and continue your subhuman ways.

hole means something is missing, dug out or removed. whole means the opposite: "entire, complete". someone can be an asshole, or a whole ass. or, in the case of some people i know, both. but, i've never heard of an asswhole or a hole ass.

and, lastly, college. i've seen way too many people using an "a" and spelling it collage. i guess the difference is, if you are smart enough to go to one, you know how to spell it. in case you're still wondering what the difference is, a collage is an artform where you paste together bits of paper. a college, though, is an instution of higher learning (where, one assumes, you learn how to spell and use proper grammar).

end of diatribe. carry on.

7 comments:

Kat said...

justin,

Hey! I've only got six collEge credits but even I know the difference between the two! (Not too or to!)

You're killing me with this. I love it. A lot is another one on my list...I've got quite a few on the list.

Nite....Only in Nick@Nite....Thru...only in The NY State Thruway.

The hole/whole thing...that's a new one on me. I didn't know people had trouble with holes! :) This is great...I bet you could find a place to submit this....

Thanks for the lesson and the smiles!

j.b said...

hey, you're welcome.
yes, it doesn't take a college education to know how to spell or how to use proper grammar. hell, we should be learning this stuff in, oh i don't know, GRAMMAR SCHOOL.
what a novel concept. what the hell are we teaching our kids these days, anyway?
there are hundreds and hundreds more of these kinds of spelling/grammar mistakes, but i just picked the most fun or most glaring.
glad i could provide a few smiles.

Kat said...

They are teaching it. I just don't think that the kids are listening.

My favorite thing to do to my kids is...during an argument...to correct their grammar. Drives them insane!

j.b said...

oh yeah. i bet it riles them up, big time. well, i must confess i do it to my wife all that time. i can't help myself, even though i know it will only add fuel to the fire (which, to be honest, is why i do it, sometimes). one step worse, i often catch myself correcting my boss's and peer's grammar mistakes. not cool.
but, someone has to do it.
as for the schools teaching it, i'm sure they are. just not effectively. and kids WON'T listen to grammar lectures, but it's the teachers' responsibility to make sure they teach it in such a way that the students respond. or, at least, this is what i think. what do i know?

Kat said...

Last year, Emma had a teacher, an English teacher I might add, who couldn't pronounce Don Quixote...I might not be able to spell it but I know how to SAY it. Emma does, too and she corrected her. Needless to say, Emma was on her hit list all year.

She was, by far, the worst teacher either of my girls has had.

I don't know...I loved my English classes as a kid. I loved diagraming sentences which I don't even think they do anymore.

Here is a good one! My sister-in-law, at the age of 25, didn't know what a verb was! AHHHHHH!

j.b said...

Kat:
that's horrible. how can someone NOT know how to say Don Quixote? nevermind a fucking teacher? wrong.
she didn't know what a verb was? seriously? that's really sad. and not in a funny way.

chris:
i've actually thought about being a teacher, but i'm afraid i would end up burning out at like 40 (like most teachers) and wind up a shell of the person i once was (like most teachers).
and, i think you're right about the computer thing.

Kat said...

justin,

it is sick and wrong that she didn't know how to pronounce it. An English teacher???? My freakin' eye! She also taught science and the worksheets that came home were a disgrace. Seriously.

And yes, my sister-in-law didn't know what a verb was. I almost fell off the chair. And then she said she didn't care either. But that was just because she felt stupid...good reason for that...