13 July 2006

mediation

i am writing this via email from my cellphone. i am standing in my new house, waiting for the movers to arrive. i checked this blog and have read through the comments. i feel impelled to take a few minutes out of my already busy day to respond to what is being bandied about by the two verbal pugilists who've taken to sparring on here recently.

i am friends with both Christopher Cunnungham and the man who calls himself "theeffects". i've known both for a number of years, correspond with both frequently and regularly, and consider both great poets and friends.

i know both to be steadfastly stubborn in their beliefs and philosophies (as they should be), with no qualms about voicing their opinion.

i also feel both are honest and possess much integrity. therefore, it is difficult for me to read all the snarky comments, vicious insults and unnecessary "calling outs" being vollied across the bow of the ship i call "this poet's life".

i am not attempting to make peace between you two -- CC & theeffects -- but it would seem superficial and counterproductive (in this already superficial and counterproductive world) to argue and backbite when there is already so much of that going on in this small press.

i am also NOT here to take sides, but if someone -- especially someone with the integrity and honesty of CC or Luis -- tells me they do something in a way completely opposite the way i do it (no matter how unbelievable TO ME it seems) i must take them for their word.

i have no fucking how anybody else in this world writes. all i know is how i do it. and for all i know, i could be writing in a way that is totally unbelievable -- and most editors would agree TOTALLY WRONG -- to most people.

all that matters is that you do it. that we do it your way, or in a way that works for you; allowing you to scribble the truth in the margins of our otherwise banal, painful lives.

that is all.
both men touch gloves and go back to your corners.

::DING::
ROUND TWO!
--j

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i meant i have no fucking CLUE how others write.

carry on.

--j

christopher cunningham said...

me neither. I don't know what the fuss is about.

I think theeffects is an interesting guy, just a poor reader. all of the actual points I've made in my defense have been met with silly attacks, rather than with any kind of factual rebuttal.

I'm "boring" and a "phony fuck," instead of REFUTING what I said. anyway, that bill oreilly shit doesn't play with me, I deal in ACTUALITIES and TRUTH. and everything I said was true.

even the part about THANKS, THEEFFECTS for buying my boring books.

CC + THEEFFECTS = TLA, BFF

christopher cunningham said...

and hey, j.b:

GOOD ON THE HOUSE, BABY!

finally.

christopher cunningham said...

umm, and I hope it goes without saying that you CANNOT run any of my poems in your anthology.

line the cage with the photocopies, punk.